Wednesday 16 February 2011

Bird boxes

Just a note to myself that yesterday I finished putting up 7 bird boxes along the  river walk.
I did put the first four up during the winter but they take a little time and effort to make, so the last three are going up a little late for this year. Nonetheless, no sooner had I got some of them up and taken the ladder down, the blue tits were exploring them. This does not mean they will necessarily nest in them this year but they may well use them as a roosting site  on these cold  spring nights.

Bird box example
These bird boxes are made of  recycled plastic sewer pipes with wooden tops and bottoms. (if I can't find enough plastic lids -as in the example) I also put some fabric wadding in the bottom just to start them off!
I opted for this hard plastic-type box because during last season all my wooden boxes were broken into and the young chicks were taken.
We think the 'vandals' were woodpeckers because of the type of damage that was done, but it is possible that it could have been either rats or squirrels.  Either way I feel that these new, stronger style, slippery boxes stand a better chance of keeping the predators at bay.
The example box is painted green but for the most part I just leave them in their natural colour which is the light brown that can just be see in the back of the entrance hole.   Because the surface of the box is slippery I screw a perch at the entrance. However, this is not really necessary as most of the birds that are likely to nest in these boxes are quite agile enough to land on the entrance without a perch.
My thinking is that you can never have too many nest boxes because the doormice and other critters also use them if they are available.

BIRD BOXES 2011
If you have a long piece of pipe and all your tools are out, then why not make a load all in one go!
I've already put up nine this year and the birds are showing interest, so here's another nine.
Apart from birds nesting in them, they are a useful place for them to roost at night time.
Also, they can become a home for other creatures such as doormice.  If there is a little hole and  a cosy home all sorts of things will explore them. Last year one of them was home to a nest of bumble bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment